Join an Intimate, Inspirational Photo Community
One that’s right out your front door
Now that it’s tougher to go seeking places to make extraordinary photography, we have an invitation to pay attention to what’s close to home.
As well as to connect and grow with other photographers, share work, and get inspired.
Close to Home is an online community for photography enthusiasts to share their photos, improve their skills, and look at their surroundings in a new light.
You don’t have to be a professional photographer or have fancy equipment to comment on the world around you with your camera. This community is for everyone who wants to connect with others through photography.
Get ready to start to understand who you are as a photographer, where you live, and how that influences your work. Because that’s how we can become more intentional about what we say with our photography.
Some of the most moving photos come from the places that are most familiar to you.
Over time, you’ll understand how a place changes with the people, the light, and the events that take place. You’ll get a rare glimpse into the fascinating moments right outside your door, whether you live in a city, suburb, or rural area.
And you will come back with intimate portraits of life around you, to share them with other people who just get it.
"This site feels like a treasure chest with riches and surprises of all kinds. James, I appreciate how you continually fuel us, expand our thinking, and propel our craft forward. "
Here's How It Works
Small groups are the key
- Register on the form above
- You’ll be added to a 25-person peer group made up of photographers from all different backgrounds and locations.
- Fill out your profile, create an album inside your group to share your work, and step into a new environment where people comment on your work, collaborate, give thoughtful feedback, and share their unique perspectives.
- Stimulate your creativity and focus your vision with the help of a mix of photographers as they inspire you to look at your surroundings with fresh eyes.
"I must repeat: This Salon has meant more to my photography in this short time than all the pages and books and 'self teaching sessions' I have ever gone through. I am not exaggerating!"
In addition to being part of the community, to help you get started and give some inspiration to create, share, and grow – I’m adding these bonus materials with your membership.
- 4-hour editing program titled, Editing and Putting Together a Portfolio in Street Photography.
- 75-minute class titled, An Introduction to Street Photography: From Beginner to Advanced Topics
- The Essentials of Street Photography and Street Photography Conversations ebooks.
- A master list titled, The Best Street Photography Books to Start Your Collection